Saturday 19 January 2019

A Week’s Worth of Healthy Snacks


At this point we all know the importance of eating well, from maintaining weight to avoiding and managing chronic diseases and improving your overall health. I’m slowly making small strides towards this goal without being too drastic about it, which I believe leads to failure.  I'm slowly letting go of bad habits and picking up better ones.

One of the newer habits is healthy snacking. These are smaller meals that I eat in between breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nowadays instead of only packing lunch for work I’ve deliberately developed a habit of packing healthy snack(s) as well. Bringing my snacks from home not only saves money, but I also avoid the temptation of the vending machine (chocolate, chips, biscuit, etc.) and the nearest shop.

The aim is for my daily diet to incorporate all the different food groups; vegetables, fruit, grains, protein, and dairy. 

Veggies



Carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers


Sweet corn


Sweet potato

I tend to stick to these because over and above their health benefits I actually enjoy them and they are easy to prepare.

Fruit




This part is easy.

Grains

For the most part I get grains from my cereal; my favourite being oats, maltabella, and all bran. I’ve also switched over to eating brown rice instead of white rice.

Proteins


Eggs


Nuts, seeds

To be honest I don’t really enjoy seeds. I prefer to grind them up in a smoothie, see here, rather than snack on them separately.

Dairy

The dairy products I consume the most are milk and yoghurt which are incorporated into my breakfast. Alternatively I’ll pack yoghurt as a snack especially if my breakfast didn't include dairy.

Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts