Sunday 27 January 2019

Homemade Whipped Hair and Body Butter


I was introduced to natural oils four years ago when I went natural. I watched YouTube videos and read a lot of blogs in an effort to learn about the phenomenon that is my natural hair and how to take care of it… yes the hair is phenomenal, lol.

A lot of people raved about natural products and their benefits. Not to mention the scarcity of natural hair products in the South African market back then left one with little choice. 

I’ve tried a lot of concoctions over the years. Some were complete disasters, like the banana hair mask, never again. I just could not get the little banana bits out of my hair. However, some of the products and concoctions worked very well and have stuck, like my Shea-Cocoa Hair and Body Butter.



Ingredients

·        Cocoa butter
·        Shea butter
·        Coconut oil
·        Vitamin E oil
·        Olive oil
·        Lavender oil. This is mainly for fragrance.

I’ll add a few other oils depending on what I have available in my bathroom…. and kitchen, 😉. There's really no wrong or right mixture, you make it your own.

Method

·      Add cocoa, shea and coconut oil in a ceramic of glass bowl. Depending on the season the coconut oil may already be in liquid form, in which case it can be added later.
·      Place the bowl over boiling water (on a stove) until the butters have melted.


·      Add the other ingredients (i.e. olive oil, vitamin E oil, etc.) once the butters, now in liquid form, have cooled down.
·      Leave the mixture until it starts to solidify again. This may take a while; alternatively you can place the mixture in the fridge (about 2 hours).
·      Whip the mix for about 5-10 minutes. 


You can add more olive oil at this stage if you feel the butter is too hard to whip (add small amounts at a time).


… and voila, you have your own, nourishing, luxurious, filled with natural goodness butter!!

I use the butter as a nourishing sealant for my hair and it leaves my hair feeling super soft and moisturised.

For skin, I know some people prefer lotion in warmer months and only use butter in winter. However my skin only knows one season, the dry season. So I use the butter as my heavy duty moisturiser all year long.


Side note, this makes for a nice thoughtful gift too 😉... you're welcome.

Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando


No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts