Saturday 12 January 2019

My Creations


I’m no professional, but from time to time a girl has to whip out her sewing machine - or mice in the case of Cinderella - and sebenza.

How I even came to have a sewing machine? Well it’s simple, I love clothes. I was tired of seeing all these lovely clothes in magazines, television, and in my head and couldn’t find any of them in the shops. So I came up with a solution; buy a sewing machine and make it myself!

When I started out my only experience was from making clothes for my dolls growing up, and every now and then I’d hang out with my mother while she was sewing one of her projects (not a professional dressmaker either). So I figured… how hard can it be?

Well, it’s not as easy as I thought, but I make it work and I learn as I go along and it's loads of fun.

To the best of my recollection this shweshwe fabric cost me R40 per meter. I bought 4 meters and made two items out of it.

A halter-neck, flared dress, and
a sleeveless coat. 

So both items ended up costing me R160 (R40 x 4 meters)!! My unique take on thrift shopping.

PS: I will share a how to blog once I've figured out the best way to do it. Until then...


Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando


Thanks for stopping by. If you enjoy my content Follow By Email and/or follow me on Instagram @Snothando to get notifications on new posts. 

2 comments:

  1. weSno...well done young lady...this is inspiring indeed...I am yet to take sewing lessons, step one done the machine is here just not good with pattern cutting but all hope is there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first step is always the difficult part, you're over that hurdle. Yey! Pattern cutting is tricky but with practice you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts