Sunday 21 October 2018

What's In My Smoothie



I’ve taken to drinking smoothies because I think it’s a great way to get your body those essential nutrients. It’s simple and:

·        doesn’t require any cooking, lord knows I’m not a fan;
·        the fact that it’s raw means the nutrients are intact, ever heard the saying, “you cook it, you kill it”?
·        no skill or measurements required, just gooi;
·        on the go snack or meal; and
·        most of all, you can create your own recipes to suit your taste and nutritional needs.

Although smoothies are not a replacement for a balanced healthy diet, they sure are a good supplement.

I alternate between a few, depending on my mood, what’s in my kitchen, and how much time I have. However, I do have a staple smoothie and simply add other ingredients depending on what I have available at the time.



The staple:
·        Carrot
·        Apple*
·        Cucumber
·        Water

I seem to always have these ingredients in my fridge.

The extras:
·        Celery*
·        Seeds*
·        Ginger
·        Strawberries
·        Grapefruit*
·        Guava
·        Beetroot
·        Cinnamon
·        Turmeric

*These are foods I don’t necessarily like but have great health benefits, and because of smoothies I’m able to add them onto my diet.

I usually add one or three ‘extras’ to my staple and I’m ready to go. I tend to avoid sweeteners like maple syrup, and dairy products. The fruit have more than enough sugar and I eat enough dairy for at least two people; a bad habit I’m trying to curb.



The biggest challenge for me is consistency, but I have found the perfect time for smoothies. The slow-moving, congested drive to work in the morning. I can either sit idle, slowly getting annoyed at life and adulting or I can do something productive like nourishing my body. J

Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando

3 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of smoothies, love them. I.m new to your site and so far, I love it. I also always add spinach on my smoothies, love the green color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vanessa, thanks for dropping by. Spinach sounds like a great idea; I'll try out some time.

      Delete
  2. I've always been a fan of smoothies, love them. I.m new to your site and so far, I love it. I also always add spinach on my smoothies, love the green color...

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts