Tuesday 8 January 2019

Natural Hair Product Empties and Review


It’s wash day and I co-incidentally ended up with a few product empties, so I though it would be fun to do a review before discarding them.  You know, a little lessons learnt, will I repurchase or not, and so on and so forth. So let's get right into it!


Afro Botanics Nzinga Repairing and Strengthening Treatment - R63.95

The price is right and the product works well. I’ve been using the conditioner for over a year now and like it. It has a thick lotion-like consistency and applies easily.

However, I’ve just recently discovered that I’ve been using it wrong. This is a protein deep conditioner!!

Because one has to be careful not to overuse protein I do protein treatments every third or fourth week. I was using this conditioner in between my protein treatments not realising it’s also a protein treatment, lol.

It would help if the words ‘protein treatment’ were spelled out on the product. They’re not. Apparently the words “repairing”, “strengthening”, “rebuilding”, “reconstructing”, etc. are synonymous with protein.  Which makes sense because that's the whole purpose of protein treatments in your hair, to strengthen and rebuild.

We live and we learn. I will be using the conditioner correctly in the future.


Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner - R199.99

I bought this several months ago on one of the 3 for 2 Clicks’ specials, don't you just love them 😍. Even though Shea Moisture products are a bit pricey I don’t mind splurging on them just because they’ve built such a good reputation. I’ve managed to find favourites amongst the range; alas this conditioner is not one of them.

The conditioner is a two in one. It's both a leave-in and a rinse out; a pro.

Cons, I didn’t like it because it has little to no slip.

I not only use conditioner to condition but I also detangle during the conditioning process. So it’s important that my conditioner has some slip. If I don’t detangle during the washing process then I’ll do it when I moisturise and style. The process is so much easier when the leave-in has slip and you’re not breaking and/or damaging your hair every time you make a part.

I also encountered a mechanical issue with the packaging. The pump is only convenient when it works. This one broke maybe on the third or fourth use. This meant I had to unscrew the cap every time I used the conditioner, and with its thick consistency it didn’t dispense easily at all.

Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing this conditioner.  


Nautica Organic Unrefined Shea Butter - R149.00

I love shea butter and I use it for both hair and skin. I use the butter in its raw form or melt and mix it with other oils.

I have dry itchy skin and shea butter comes highly recommended. The benefits are endless; from moisturising to restoring skin’s elasticity to warding off or reducing the appearance of stretch marks.

For my hair I use it both to condition (pre-poo or deep conditioner) and as a sealant in my LOC method. Oh and did I mention how much I love the smell of it?!

Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts