Thursday 7 February 2019

Scalp Cleansing


Scalp cleansing is the removal of dead skin cells to promote an optimum hair growth environment for your hair. This is one of the good practices I plan to resume this year. I’ve been in a bit of a slump for the past year or so as far as my hair is concerned. As a result my hair has suffered and has not been in the same state it was when I first went natural and was diligent about taking good care of it.

A good hair regimen should include scalp cleansing (just like you exfoliate your face), and the benefits include:

  • Improved blood circulation – more nutrients being supplied to the hair follicles which stimulates healthy growth.
  • Cleaner scalp – this process removes build up of sebum, dead skin cell, hair products, etc. which can block pores and result in thinner hair.
  • Eliminates dandruff.


My favourite scalp cleansers (diluted with water) are:

·        Tea tree oil
·        Apple cider vinegar
·        Rosemary oil

There are plenty of other options such as the honey and cinnamon scrub, the coconut oil and brown sugar scrub, etc. I’m wary of trying these because I have a hard enough time getting to my scalp, putting grainy mixes in there just doesn’t seem like a good idea. But who knows, maybe one of these days…

Step 1

To cleanse my scalp I start with a shampoo. I part my hair in sections (2 or 4), wet it and apply shampoo concentrating on the scalp. I use one hand to hold the tip of my hair to avoid tangling and with the other hand I massage my scalp in circular motions. Then rinse off the shampoo.


Step 2

Next I apply the cleansing mix using an applicator bottle. The pointed tip of the bottle works well as it allows me to squirt the mix directly onto my scalp.


After massaging the mix into my scalp using the Denman Shampoo Brush or my fingers, I either

a)  Rinse it off immediately, or
b)  Leave it in and apply deep conditioner to the rest of my hair; cover with a plastic cap and rinse it off ±30 minutes later.



Alternatively you can combine step one and two. Namely add the cleansing mix to the shampoo, massage and rinse.

I try to do this every time I use shampoo. I shampoo once a month, cowash in between, and mostly use the alternative method because it’s quicker.

Here's to a healthier scalp in 2019!

Yimina ozithobayo,

Snothando

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts